Caring for your clothing is the easiest way to ensure it lives a long life in your wardrobe. Read our tips on how to treat each piece, and our care product recommendations from our friends at Steamery Stockholm.
Keep your garments’ unique structure in mind while storing to maintain the shape and quality.
- Knitwear: lay your sweaters flat to dry, and store them by folding and stacking them neatly in a closet or drawer. This helps to avoid stretching and sleeve marks.
- Shirts and blouses: these garments are best kept hanging in a closet on high quality wooden hangers. This helps the fabric stay fresh and keeps the garment from wrinkling.
- Tailored trousers: it’s important to hang your tailored trousers on a trouser hanger, and fold along the crease rather than the seam. This preserves the creases of the style, and prevents it from unwanted wrinkles.
2. MENDING AND MAINTENANCE
Treat the clothes you own as a long-term investment. Maintaining pieces will help ensure they don’t need mending often, and when they do, always consider repairing them before replacing. Our in-store and online teams are trained to provide tips and suggestions for any repair you may need to a Filippa K garment.
- Remove pilling: many natural fibres will pill over time and increased usage. This is a normal process, and there are easy and gentle ways you can remove the pilling to keep the garment looking fresh. Use a sweater shaver to get rid of the pilling, and a wool brush to keep the surface looking smooth. We recommend this Pilo Fabric Shaver, and this Pocket Brush.
3. WASHING AND DRYING
Take a thoughtful approach to washing and drying your wardrobe, and don’t wash more often than necessary. Always read the care label, as each garment has different needs to ensure it stays in its best condition. Here are a few simple guidelines to keep in mind:
- Wash at a low temperature: make sure you wash clothing at the lowest temperature possible, particularly when washing delicate items.
- Wash at a shorter cycle: the shortest wash cycle is usually long enough to clean your garment, while saving water.
- Choose a natural liquid rinse: liquid detergents dissolve better than powders and are the most sensitive option for hand or machine washing. We recommend these biodegradable options: the Delicate Wash for everyday garments, and this Sport Wash for activewear.
- Use a special garment bag: always use a specially designed laundry bag for fine materials such as silk, viscose, wool and Tencel™, and turn these garments inside out to avoid any colour fading or changes. A laundry bag will help prevent abrasion during washing, which can lead to pilling. You can find special garment bags designed specifically to reduce microfibre shedding from materials like polyester and polyamide – we love this one from Guppy Friend.
4. MAKING THEM LAST
In addition to your usual routine, here are some helpful tips on how to care for your favourite garments and make them last.
- Keep the stretch: stretch fibres such as elastane and Lycra are sensitive to heat. Protect these garments by placing a damp cloth in-between when ironing, washing them inside out in a cold temperature.
- Wash less often: think twice before washing your clothing. Airing it outside during warmer months is often enough to regain a fresh feeling. You can also use a garment refresher spray in between washes, like this Clothing & Shoe Mist.
- Spot clean: it’s often better, and more effective, to spot clean in the moment than wash the whole garment. This saves water and energy, too.
5. A SECOND LIFE
When you’ve finished using your garment, it’s best to give it a new owner or to recycle the materials when possible. Donating a garment gives it a second life, and there are many ways you can do this. If you’re looking for more inspiration or if you have a question about recyclability, you can also contact us.
- Filippa K Collect: bring any pre-loved Filippa K garment into one of our stores, and we’ll collect it in exchange for a voucher towards your next purchase. These collected pieces are repaired if needed and sold in our Filippa K Studio, or donated to other organisations.
- Filippa K Studio: you can also bring pieces for donation directly to our Filippa K Studio in Stockholm. There you can chat with our team about circular fashion and shop other pre-loved pieces as well as old stock and new designs.
- Online: posting pieces you no longer wear online for resale is a great way to find a new owner for the garment.
- Local donation resources: local charity shops, thrift stores, and shelters are always in need of donated clothing.